New Year Goals: Making A Change In 2018

New Year Goals: Making A Change In 2018

Happy New Year! Everyone is talking about their New Year goals for 2018 and I’m definitely in that mode as well. I like to reflect on the previous year, what worked, what didn’t, and what changes need to be made going forward. Doing this provides the wisdom & direction I need when setting new goals.

2017 was a year of wonderful blessings for us. The kids continued to grow and thrive, Chris continued to enjoy his work, and along with being a full-time mama, I got to do what I love: use my words & social media presence to connect with others. I’m humbled that you continue to read and follow my blog. Thank you so much!

Social media can be tricky. It’s a platform for creative people to share the best of the best. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we have to remember all the images are edited and perfected to a T. And while a pretty picture can inspire us, it’s the realness that CONNECTS us. And I always want to be real with you.

I didn’t really like who I became in 2017.

I was overwhelmed and had a bad attitude about it. The stress of taking care of the kids full-time and not having enough time to complete what I WANTED TO DO completely sabotaged my joy to a point that I couldn’t see the blessings right in front of me.

I was becoming short-tempered, resentful, and unhappy.

Anyone who has stayed home with their kids knows that it’s both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you don’t have to split your life in 2 worlds; work and home. No fighting traffic everyday, no dress codes or stuffy boardrooms.  You can take the kids to appointments without feeling guilty for missing work. You can truly dedicate 100% to your family. A curse because there is absolutely no freedom. Simple tasks like getting dressed, taking a shower, cooking, eating, washing clothes are almost impossible to do. The things you have on your agenda can’t get done because of the constant distractions. Texts & emails don’t get returned. Bills are paid late. There is something to be done for a child every minute of every day. This is very hard for my fiercely independent personality. I’m at war with myself constantly.

I took a step back and asked myself why was I getting so easily frustrated and what I could do about it.

I had to admit to myself that I wasn’t in a good place mentally or physically.

It’s all me. It’s my mindset. It’s my expectations. It’s my PRIDE that I can accomplish my goals with three kids. I’m doing it to myself.

Yes, kids are a source of frustration, but it’s not their fault that I get frustrated easily. They are just being kids, pushing boundaries, being curious.

So I’m going to take back control of my life and my attitude, and here are the New Year goals and changes I’m making in 2018 in order to do this:

1. Exercise-  I need a physical outlet or else I don’t feel like myself.
  2. Drink more water- I will drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day.
  3. Expect Less- Let go of the pressure that I put on myself and the kids. This means not letting the to-do list run our lives. Things will get done eventually and that’s ok. There is beauty in imperfection and uncertainty. I want to embrace this more.

I’ve already started progress on these goals and I’m so excited about it. It’s unlike me to not be happy & content, and like I’ve shared in a previous blog post, it’s up to US to make changes towards a happy life. No one else is going to do it for  us.

2018 will be an awesome year for my family! I’m excited about what this year holds!

P.S. If you aren’t where you want to be, it’s ok to take a step back and reevaluate where you are in your life and make changes if necessary. The Lord gives us a clean slate each day to make better choices and become the best version of ourselves. What a great opportunity.

Shop My Current Faves 🙂

14 Comments

1. Tranum
    January 2, 2018 / 3:59 am

Truth. We must learn to give ourselves grace!

• Carli Best
      Author
      January 4, 2018 / 3:55 am

Absolutely!

2. Tara
    January 2, 2018 / 4:33 am

That’s wonderful that you recognized that you needed to make some changes to be a happier you! A happy momma is a less frustrated momma. I can relate to being in a place that I don’t want to be in, though my scenario is different. Single mom, working full-time, and in a bachelor’s program. I made a list of changes for 2018, and just checked one off my list. I deactivated my FB account. I found there to be too much toxicity/negativity and it was a waste of time. I have other items to check off my list, but baby steps. 🙂 Just know that you’re not alone! Happy New Year!

• Carli Best
      Author
      January 4, 2018 / 3:55 am

Baby steps! You are right!! Thank you Tara for reading, it means so much to me!

3. Christy
    January 2, 2018 / 12:10 pm

Love this Carli! Here’s to a HAPPY new year 🎊

• Carli Best
      Author
      January 4, 2018 / 3:56 am

Thank you Christy! HNY to you!

4. Nicole M
    January 2, 2018 / 4:34 pm

I love the p.s. part, such a simple concept. How blessed are we to receive this daily reprieve!

• Carli Best
      Author
      January 4, 2018 / 3:57 am

Yes! So blessed!

5. Nena
    January 2, 2018 / 5:41 pm

Wonderful assessment, Carli! I love that you are making goals for yourself to achieve more joy. I, too, am making goals for 2018. I want to be more joyful! Jesus has me and my life so I can rest in that joy alone. BUT, while I’m still flesh, I have to feed parts of me so that I can be a brighter light for HIM. My family especially needs me to take care of myself. I will be a better friend and make new friends this year. I will practice art more (feeds my soul!). And I will focus more on my purpose for being alive….in light of Mike’s death, I need to focus on my quality of life! I love you, my Rali! Here’s to expecting positive things in 2018!

• Carli Best
      Author
      January 4, 2018 / 4:03 am

Thank you so much for reading!! it means so much that you took the time to write this. It’s perplexing, to be stressed and grateful in the same moment. Sometimes I wonder if that’s why we’re a little cray 🙂 I love you Nena, so much!

6. January 4, 2018 / 3:07 pm

I have the same personality! I’m very driven and motivated, so the kids often “inconvenience” me from my go do list. I am trying hard to not let it affect mr and rather embrace it! Thank you for sharing your heart and struggles. You aren’t the only one!

7. January 4, 2018 / 11:36 pm

You have a great way with words. Very well said.

8. January 4, 2018 / 11:37 pm

You have a great way with words. Very well said. Happy new year!

9. January 6, 2018 / 12:16 am

I just stumbled across your blog, but I can already tell you’re killin it as a mom and blogger! It is so hard not to compare! But, you’re doing great! I can’t wait to follow your blog and read all about your adorable outfits and sweet fam. I always just say the “God grant me serenity…” prayer when I get overwhelmed. I swear it helps!
    xxoo